So yea a little bit delayed with this one, but i have my reasons, first of all it’s been an interesting year, with a lot of ups and downs, while i didn’t accomplish much of what i wanted to do i did get a few things done anyway.
- i got my toolkit out the door and up to github (check the latest tutorial series for that), i also got a lot of coding done after that, in fact i have spent on average 1-2 hour coding it every day since the last ludum dare.
- I recently switched to visual studio 12 (which at the moment is the most recent one), i can only say good things about it, it even has a great git interface.
- I also switched to c++11, i even got a new c++ book “The c++ programing language” by Bjarne Strousturp and as a consequence i have been rewriting a lot of code to make it as modern as i can, and honestly my code has gotten a lot less buggier, i haven’t had a single buffer overrun in two months since i switched to using vectors for a lot of stuff.
- I wrote two games for Ludum Dare “the escape” and “grid war” and i hope to continue doing that. Read more »
This years E3 as many of you already know was pretty massive, not one but two new consoles, sure they where previously revealed but still pretty exiting.
Now i didn’t do a E3 predictions this year, it was partially because i already done so many about the next gent, they are being pretty tight lipped this year and we already knew a lot of the launch titles and other details comming into E3.
So here are my thoughts on E3 this year
Read more »
So yea normally I’m sitting here coding away, but yesterday was a bit special with microsoft having revealed their new console which according to the gametrailer promo only happens twice a decade.
But this console i have to say did not amaze me, atleast not yet as they kinda glossed over a great deal of things.
Read more »
So yea i am doing one more of these again and it’s starting in about two hours from now, i am going to update this page as i go as well as tweet it, but first things first.
1. last time didn’t go that well, i came almost last out of several hundreds of entries, so i somewhat limiting my scope this time, it’s going to be entirely 2D for starters and not use physics anymore complicated than what was used in super mario.
2. I am using this toolkit, it’s a somewhat updated version of the previous one and adds a few things i need for this game, like the ability to load a texture into cpu memory instead of gpu, and generating a x by y grid of sprites.
I am pretty sure there are going to be more things added as i go.
Read more »
Lately i have been seeing a lot of articles on N4G claiming that either the next generation console graphics will be the same as it’s now, that nothing can beat the halo 4 graphics, that the next generation is not really necessary, and that a game already had next gen graphics, all of which are complete and utter bullshit, but im not going to stop there, instead lets wade trough the knee deep cesspool of video game journalism while wearing the boots of “well duh” and some kind of sanity based breathing/filtration system. Read more »
So im going to take part in LD48 #24 which will be interesting, but in order for me to do so i need to quickly release the toolkit i am going to use and that i hinted at in my last post.
so without further procrastination here is a preview.
Now as this is only a preview i haven’t added a license yet so assume a basic gpl type license, basically use the code in whatever project you like and give credits where credits are due, and for now don’t redistribute, only link back here.
(graphics and models are not included in the licence and are only there for now to show how it’s done)
And while coding is done (unless some major problems show up) i still need to write proper comments and documentation, but i won’t have time to do that until next week.
Anyway back to LD48 when the compo starts 1.00 Am on Saturday i will have only 48 hours to make a game based on a theme to be revealed then, i will be keeping everybody updated here, on twitter and on ludumdare.com/compo/
So nintendo has the biggest stake in this years E3 with the Wii U as it’s finally time for them to reveal it all, hardware specs, games, launch dates and price.
This would normally be a pretty solid thing as E3:s go, but they have one problem, third and first party games. Read more »
Sony had a pretty bad pressconference last year, a wonky stage, few really great games and so on, this year i don’t think so, all signs points towards glory. Read more »
Early next month is E3 and lots of sites are starting to buzz about it and so am i.
This year has certainly been the most silent under the wraps year and that only means three things.
1. either they are hiding something big like i think Sony does.
2. they do like they always do and act in enigmatic ways, regardless of what they actually have, like i Nintendo always does.
3. or you don’t actually have something like microsoft does.
So yea big shocker i started with the conclusion so if you like you can now stop reading and just have another pack of rice crackers.
But for all others lets continue. Read more »
So i went toying around with my old sixaxis gamepad on my pc and decided to add gamepad support to one of my apps, turns out it’s not that hard so i thought i would add a quick tutorial about it.
First of all it’s worth noting that a gamepad and a joystick is the same thing from a technical perspective. secondly the specific setup is using windows own built in joystick interface which means that we are limited to 6 analog axis and 32 buttons, which is plenty as the classic playstation dualshock controller (which almost every other controller is based on in some way) only has 4 analog axis and 17 buttons (gyros and accelerometers does not count as we can’t use them). Read more »